Monday, April 27, 2015

Cops at the Park






“I am never going that park again.” Tristen said a resolute sadness. He was ashamed for “getting into trouble”, which he rarely does, because he is very adamant about following rules.



“Honey, you didn't do anything wrong. The police came to make sure you weren't supposed to be at the High School. You are homeschooled, so you can be at the park. You didn't do anything wrong. The police were just checking on you.”



“Oh!” He exclaimed and he bounced up and galloped off with a light in his eye and a slight smile on his face.



Why didn't it make ME feel any better?



As I sit here and repeat the mantra to myself...you weren't doing anything wrong, you weren't doing anything wrong....the paralyzing fear is real and intense.



I don't feel good about my kids playing at the park this morning while I walked the exterior sidewalk, because the cops showed up and interrogated them...and because I know you don't necessarily have to be doing something wrong to get into trouble with the police or have your children taken away.



I know this for multiple reasons.



I read this week about kids being taken away from parents for walking home from a park alone.



I know this from the countless medical kidnaps going on in this country from anything from asking for a second opinion, to delaying a vaccine or the doctor just plain thinking it's all in your head . Justina Pelletier's case made national news. You can read about it here.



The Stanley's in AR are still fighting to get their kids back after they were taken for having a legal water purification substance in their house.



Now that the initial shock is over, I'm angry that I have to be afraid. My husband fought for this country and was injured for life doing so. He fought so we could have freedoms. I don't feel very free.



I'm afraid to send my child to public school. You don't have to do much googling to see all the abuse in special ed classrooms and buses throughout the country.



I've been afraid to take my kid's to the doctor for fear of being be-rated for refusing a shot or an antibiotic or worse, being reported to CPS. I'm afraid of being kicked out of the office because my kids have not had their High School boosters, or being forced to sign something admitting I'm a neglectful parent.



And now I'm afraid to go to the park.



There isn't much to do in this tiny southern town. Both of my boys, 15 and 17, have social impairments that make it hard to relate to others and make friends. Spending time outside is also a chore, but I decided to take advantage of the spring weather and take them to the park to meet up with another homeschooling family from our church from about 7-8 each morning. Today, someone in the community called the police on the kids for being in the park.





As my friend and I rounded the corner and saw three police cars parked by the steps of the enclosed basketball court where the kids were playing, we started to run. I actually hoped in my head someone was hurt rather than “in trouble”. Then the panic set in, I stopped and doubled over, sick to my stomach with terror.



You see, regardless of all the reasons a person nowadays should be worried their children will be taken away from them, I experienced this first hand a couple of years ago. My grandmother, who would give June Clever a run for her money, had her 17 year old granddaughter taken away from her over a misunderstanding due to her disability. Seeing my 85 year old grandmother taken away in handcuffs crushed me in a way I have no words to describe.



But she didn't do anything wrong.



My world crumbled. Nothing made sense anymore and I no longer felt safe. I felt like anyone could be punished for anything no matter when or where or if it was warranted.



My grandmother's lawyer reviewed everything and was in shock because the police had no legal standing to have done what they did.





She went through a year of hell anyway. Attending every meeting, counseling, court date and spending thousands of dollars on attorney fees. They even kept her granddaughter from her after she turned 18.



There is an illusion in this country of greatness and freedom.



My grandma never had so much as a parking ticket in her whole life. She retired as clerk of courts and new the judges and police in the average town well.



If it can happen to her, it can happen to anybody.



What I learned was this: It's not the actual doing of wrong, it's the perception of wrong-doing by those in charge.



We've had an unusual amount of rain here. Lots of green grass and wildflowers. I see one of my neighbors mowed all of their lawn except a about an 8 by 6 foot patch that is considerably longer than the rest. The city offers citations to those who do not keep their lawn trimmed to a certain height, so I was curious to why they did not mow such a large overgrown section.



Bluebonnets. Texas' state flower. Anyone you ask will tell you it is illegal to pick/cut them. It's taught in schools and down from generation to generation. I was intrigued and started to research.






It's not illegal. You have to be careful what you do in state parks, gardens or private property, but that's with anything and not limited to bluebonnets.



What is my point with all of this?



Even with this knowledge, I wouldn't be surprised if a police officer stopped me and prohibited me from doing so.



It's not about the real law, it's the perception of the law by the person enforcing the law.

No comments: