Friday, March 15, 2013

The "Outgrowing" Propaganda

The new autism information circling around Medscape is calling a "take-back" to the mainstream medical community's previously sedimentary  definition of Autism.
What was once thought of as a life-long sentence, has a new definition.
 If you are a biomed Mom or Dad, you may be excited at this point, thinking that maybe....just maybe....the battle we have fought for our children with our blood, sweat, tears is being acknowledged at long last!
Instead, Medscape, a resource available to doctors and nurses, is now stating that children simply "outgrow" autism.
I remember the day in 2000, when my son had barely turned two, and the neurologist, after reviewing notes from a speech therapist, sat me down in his office. After a few short minutes of observing my child, he told me he had Autism.  He told me it wasn't my or my husband's fault...nothing we did caused it.  He told us to continue Early Intervention, even though there wasn't much data on how much that would help.  He told us to test our youngest child, a few weeks old, for Fragile X to see if he would have Autism, too.  He shook my hand and said my husband could call him if he had any questions....and we should start saving for Tristen's long-term care in a specialized facility.
Everything I read at first told me there was no hope and no cure.  Autism just happens to one in ten thousand children and you have to accept it.
But my child was sick.  He was constantly ill and had problems eating since birth.  No doctor or nurse would take us seriously...they only saw his Autism.
"Autistic kids are just constipated."
"Autistic kids get sick all the time....stop worrying so much."
"You are being overprotective because you feel guilty."
I stopped reading articles about  hopeless futures and I started reading about illnesses.  I started to read everything I could find on the immune system so when I went back to the doctor with another 105 degree fever, I would have something to suggest to him....maybe this....or this....
I heard  rumors of recovery.  Recovery of Autism.  False hope?  Maybe....I wasn't sure.  But I wasn't worried about recovering from from Autism, I just wanted him to be healthy and live a happy, pain-free life.  As I kept reading about illnesses, and sick children with autism, it became very clear I wasn't alone and that healing his sick little body would actually help lessen the severity of his Autism.  It had to be worth a shot.
When I approached our new pediatrician with this information, I brought in books and links to websites.  I was so excited to show her I had found the way to heal him from his undiagnosed illness that plagued him every month.  Instead of rejoicing with me in this newly found information, she looked at me with pity.
"I hate to see you waste your time and money on things like this.  I've known people in the past who have gone down this path to only see no results or progress. You should proceed with caution."
That was the third and last time we saw that doctor.
We have spent the last 5 years spending every last cent along with every last bit of energy to keep my autistic son healthy.  It only took a month after his first visit with a Biomedical doctor to stop his cyclical fevers.  And as his health improved, so did the severity of his Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Mainstream Medicine did not acknowledge this.  They said it was impossible and a ploy to exploit grieving parents.
So, now my Tristen is not the only one getting better.  People across the world are proclaiming recovery.  So, what do the docs say now??  Oh, it wasn't anything YOU did......they were going to outgrow it all along!
Well, I am calling their BS!  They figured out a loophole to explain the progress and recovery of  hundreds of autistic children so they wouldn't have to admit they should have been listening to parents and treating their children like real patients, instead of  handicapped children that are no use to the world and better off in an institution.
The DSM-V used to diagnose Autism Spectrum Disorders has changed the criteria for labeling someone Autistic.  This will drastically decrease the number of children diagnosed with an ASD, yet they will still remain under different names.  It just happens to tie in perfectly to the new claim, as they will no doubt soon advertise a new study where the rates have declined, and those who where Autistic no longer are, thus proving their claim that they just outgrew it.
My son's brain was damaged by the Hepatitis B vaccine given to him at two days old.  They gave me, a nursing mother, the MMR the same day.  He was never the same after.  My son will not grow out of his brain damage.  Whether the DSM-V decides to classify him as Autistic anymore, or if they call him a purple dinosaur.....he will still be damaged, and he will still continue to make gains towards a better life, because I won't stop spending my every waking hour trying to help him succeed at life.
But don't you dare tell me, that I could have spent the past 15 years on the couch eating bon-bons, letting him spin in circles, making high-pitched screetches and drinking milk out of the jug by the gallons, and just SAT there and WATCHED as he MAGICALLY GREW OUT OF IT!
Society has lost their faith in mainstream medicine.  They have been ignored for too long.  This claim is another nail in the coffin. If doctors would have done their jobs in the first place, none of this would be an issue.  First, DO NO HARM.  The oath doesn't mention screwing up and then offering a "take-back".

No comments: